The Atlanta Bar Association Lawyer Referral program began in 1955 under the leadership of the Chairman, Henry B. Troutman, Jr. This public service began shortly after WWII due to many military service men returning home and needing legal assistance in many areas of law. The average number of referrals per month during that time was approximate 90. Today the Lawyer Referral Staff refer between 800-1100 calls per month. The Lawyer Referral Service program (LRS) changed its name to the Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) in 2003 when the service met the standards set by the American Bar Association for lawyer referral programs. There are 300 public service lawyer referral programs nationwide. Approximately 70 are American Bar Association approved to utilize their logo "The Right Call for the Right Lawyer”.